Having an overall sense of where your milestones (or initiatives, actions, or activities) are can help you identify where to focus your efforts. What needs to be moved to the next stage? What do you need to flag for leadership attention?
Follow these steps to create a visualization that allows you to see all the initiatives in your workstream either grouped by weekly status or with the most recent end date first, as illustrated in the image below.
How to use
- Pull this report weekly to review who has raised their hand for help because initiatives owners will be updating initiative status weekly
- Look at initiatives that are red for requiring leadership attention, as well as at the initiatives that are orange for some issues
- Use either pivot view or list view to see your information. Most organizations prefer to see both:
- In pivot view, look at the columns on the x-axis (sub-workstreams) to see at a glance which sub-workstreams are having the most issues
- In list view, scroll through initiatives by name to see more details. such as stage and planning summary
- You can share the whole report, such as with your team, and review weekly in a team meeting
- Double click initiatives in either view to see details on the milestones tab and the weekly status tab
- Enter comments on the initiative in the comments field, then email the initiative owner with a link to the initiative along with your comments
1. You can create this view in pivot view or list view. For purposes of this example, we start in pivot view and switch to list view at the end.
2. Click on the view settings icon , then the grouping icon and choose Accountability Sub-Workstream. Next, click on the color icon and select Weekly status. Finally, click on the sort icon and select Weekly status, Ascending.
3. Next, click on the filter icon and select Filter by initiative. Scroll down and click on L4 latest estimated date. Uncheck Include items without a date. Return to the Filter by initiative list of attributes and click on Accountability to access workstreams, then select your workstream. In this example, the workstream accountability is Juices.
4. In pivot view, you will see your initiatives sorted by Weekly status. To make the list view version and see more details, click on the visualization selection in the upper left corner and Switch to list view.
Instead of sorting by Weekly status, you will want to sort by L4 latest estimated date, Ascending, as illustrated below.