The date filters in Wave views allow you to specify a range of start and/or end dates for your view. When you save a view that has date filters, you have the option of making the date filters "roll" with the rolling date filter.
Rolling date filters are a way to maintain a specific length of time as a filter for your view, such as a week, month, etc. for when you open the view later. Otherwise, your view will continue to represent the same dates that you originally set. Note that this feature works on all views, as well as when creating reports. Please keep in mind that if you apply the rolling date filter, all dates used to filter will roll; there is no way to keep one date field static and the other one rolling.
Some of the ways you can use this feature:
- Report on initiatives that have a due date within the next week
- Identify initiatives that have not been modified in the past month
- Review initiatives that are more than a month past due
1. Select the data you want to analyze, then click on a date filter, such as end date, and set a range of dates. In the example below, the dates are four weeks apart, starting from the current day.
2. When you are satisfied with your view, click the disk icon to save and check the box next to Make the date filters roll, then Save.
3. The next time you open this view, the data will be filtered not by those specific dates, but by the range they represent, in this case, from the current day to four weeks out.
In other words, the example view is saved to show initiatives coming due between September 4 and October 2 with the rolling date filter. If the report is opened two weeks later, then the view will show initiatives coming due between September 18 and October 16. Without the rolling date filter applied, the filtered dates would remain September 4 to October 2.